Many users complain on different forums that “Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry is using 50% of my disk usage and it’s making my PC very slow and annoying.”
If you are also dealing with Microsoft compatibility telemetry high Disk and CPU usage in your task manager. Then you probably want to disable Microsoft compatibility telemetry in Windows 10.
Read this post as we will explain what is Microsoft compatibility telemetry? How do I get rid of Microsoft compatibility telemetry in Windows 10/7?
What is Microsoft compatibility telemetry and Why its Causing High Disk, CPU and Memory Usage?
Windows compatibility telemetry is the most important process in Windows 10. This process gathers users data about how well Windows device and related software are working.
Microsoft uses this data to increase user experience and solve any bugs and error that might occur on Windows 10 computers.
As you know that Windows 10 is constantly improving, each time user faces any error Microsoft community instantly resolves it.
Basically Windows development team uses this collected data gathered from million of users and releases new updates. This tool periodically transmit data, until then all data is stored on your computer.
That’s the reason a lot of users complain about Microsoft compatibility telemetry high disk usage issue in Windows 10. In case you are wondering what is compattelrunner.exe? Its another name of Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry.
How To Disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry ?
You can easily disable Windows 10 telemetry. Here are explained the best solution to turn off compattelrunner.exe windows 10
1. Disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Using Group Policy Editor
As a starter you can run group policy editor which is buit in Windows 10 utility. Follow these steps.
- Press the Windows + R key to open run dialog box, then type gpedit.msc and click OK.
- It will open group policy editor.Browse through Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Data Collection and Preview Builds.
- Double-click Allow Telemetry and select Disabled, then click OK.
Once you done tweaking, open task manager and see if Microsoft compatibility telemetry disk usage Windows 10 problem recolved. If not then proceed to the next solution.
2. Turn Off Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Using Registry Editor
You can also use Windows 10 registry editor to fix windows compatibility telemetry. Follow these steps.
- Press the Windows + R keys to open run dialog box and type regedit click OK.
- Windows User Account Control will ask permission so click “YES”
- Now Go to this path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > DataCollection
- When you see DataCollection right click on it and choose New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- A new file will be created name the new value as Allow Telemetry then double-click Allow Telemetry
- Set Value date to 0 (zero) and click OK
When you set this value press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open task manager. Now check if Microsoft compatibility telemetry disk usage issue resolved or not.
3. Disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Using CMD
You can also disable compattelrunner.exe in Windows 10 using command prompt. To do that;
- Press Windows key and type command prompt, right click on it to run as admin.
- Once the windows appears type these following commands one by one and press enter.
- sc delete DiagTrack sc delete dmwappushservice echo “” >
- C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ETLLogs\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl reg add
- “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection” /v AllowTelemetry /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
4. Directly DISABLE compatteltunner.exe From Task Scheduler
If you disable compattelrunner.exe then Windows compatibility telemetry process will not run in task manager. Follow these steps.
- Press Windows + R key to open run dialog box. Then type taskschd.msc and press enter.
- Task Scheduler window will appear. Click on Task Scheduler Library to expand it.
- Now go through Microsoft > Windows folder.
- Find and click on Application Experience folder. On the right side you will see some task running.
- Click on the task Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser. Right click on it and disable it. This will turn off Microsoft compatibility telemetry.